Your selected question

Q: What is car insurance policy excess?


There are various kinds of excess on Co-op Car Insurance policies. An excess is the amount of money you pay towards a claim for loss of or damage to your car, regardless of who's to blame for the incident. It's deducted from the claim after the policy payment limits have been applied.

How much you pay depends on whether the Standard Excess only applies, if the Young Driver Excess or Inexperienced Driver Excess also applies, or you have chosen to pay a Voluntary Excess.

If the accident isn't your fault you may be able to claim this back from the responsible party and if you've purchased Motor Legal Expenses cover our Uninsured Loss Recovery Service may be able to help you. 

For further details on the different kinds of excess, visit our help page. For further details visit our policy page.

Would you like to rate this answer?

Not at all helpful
Very helpful