Your selected question

Q: Can I take in a lodger?


In addition to the people named on the policy, members of your family permanently living with you and any domestic employees (e.g. a live-in nanny) you may take in a maximum of 2 lodgers/paying guests at any one time. Cover is available for both buildings and contents insurance, including the optional accidental damage extension.

If Contents insurance is taken out, theft of contents in the home is restricted to loss or damage involving violent or forcible entry or exit from the home. If either buildings or contents insurance is taken out, malicious damage cover is not insured where the loss or damage is caused by a person lawfully on the premises.   

If you want to let out your home (or any part of it) to a tenant, please consider getting landlord’s insurance, as our home insurance won’t cover you.

Would you like to rate this answer?

Not at all helpful
Very helpful