Your selected question

Q: Do I need to obtain a European Health Insurance Card before travelling?


When travelling to a country in the European Union (EU) you should receive inpatient treatment in a public hospital.

You must therefore obtain a European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) prior to travel by completing an online application form . This allows European citizens to benefit from the health agreements between countries in the EU (previously known as the E111).

If you're admitted to a public hospital, you should present your EHIC to the hospital; if you are unable to do so, you must co-operate with the medical assistance department in order to obtain one.

If your EHIC is presented to the treating doctor or hospital when receiving medical treatment within the EU and the medical costs are reduced, the policy excess applicable under section B (Medical and other expenses) will be waived.

Please make every effort, where possible, to get in touch with us on 44 203 362 2450 before you undergo any treatment.

^Call charges

Would you like to rate this answer?

Not at all helpful
Very helpful