Your selected question

Q: I have a European Health Insurance Card. Do I still need travel insurance?


The European Health Insurance Card (EHIC, previously known as the E111) entitles the holder to free or reduced cost emergency treatment within the EU (excluding North Cyprus) plus Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway and Switzerland.

The EHIC may not always provide sufficient cover, however. For example, if you are taken to a private clinic in a private ambulance, the EHIC will not cover you. The EHIC also does not cover the cost of repatriation for if you need to be flown back to the UK due to accident or illness. For these reasons, it is advisable to take out adequate travel insurance as well.

Would you like to rate this answer?

Not at all helpful
Very helpful